Mike Graves has style… From round, bulging noses to gravity stricken tear-drop arms, it is easy to pick out a Mike Graves character. His style says it all. In addition to the consistency of physical attributes in his characters, Graves conquers color and line with confidence from one piece to the next! We had a chance to ask Mike 20 questions about his art and life recently, check out his thoughts:
1. What is your earliest memory?
A little fort that I built when I was four. I spent months working on it by myself, I declared it finished and promptly tear it down. I guess the creative process was done.
2. What type of art did you create as a child?
I started off drawing from other images, skateboard graphics, how to draw monster books and pretty much anything by Brian Froud.
My Mom is really talented, she just never got chances to really express it.
4. Are you “self taught” or “traditionally educated”?
Self taught for sure. I took art through High School, but I pretty much did whatever I wanted to for four years.
5. What artist has been most influential to your life?
There’s a ton, but on the top of the list would be: Os Gemeos, Barry McGee and Scribe.
I pretty much paint character driven work all of the time.
7. What non-art objects fill your studio space?
A whole mess of randomness, luchador masks, old skate decks, clothes, antique apothecary stuff and most of my clothes.
8. At what moment did you decide that you were going to pursue art as a career?
When I first started printing shirts in HI , I was 23 at the time.
Unfortunately, it does not, I am a carpenter by day.
10. What is your least favorite art buzzword?
I think it would have to be ” outsider art”.
11. Outside of the craft you are known for, are there any other art endeavors you pursue?
I’ve made clothes for over a decade now.
Not that I know of.
13. Are there any scientific theories that fascinate you?
Natural selection and evolution in general is pretty crazy.
14. Is there one album or one musician/band that you are constantly enthralled by?
Not really, I love a ton of different music. I’ve been listening to The Hold Steady a lot recently.
Both, for sure. Right now I’m mostly inspired by my daughter.
16. What is the most interesting dream you can recall?
They are pretty crazy all of the time, so it’s hard to think of just one. I dream in cartoons pretty often, that seems interesting to me.
17. Any guilty pleasures?
I probably drink too much beer.
19. Where do you currently live and how did you come to reside here?
I live in Denver, it’s where my family is and where I grew up.
20. What is something most people don’t know about you?
I have the cutest baby girl in the world and her name is Olive.